On Our Own
Located across the street from the Republican National Committee (RNC) in Washington, D.C., this building became the site of the first independent NFRW headquarters in the late 1980s under the leadership of President Judy Hughes. Prior to this, the NFRW occupied a small section of the RNC building.
After more than 50 years of occupying a small section of the Republican National Committee building and renting on Capitol Hill, the National Federation of Republican Women got a home of its own on April 1, 1992, when it moved into the historic building at 124 N. Alfred Street in Old Town Alexandria, Va.
Under the leadership of past presidents Judy Hughes, Colorado (1986-1989), and Huda Jones, Kentucky (1990-1993), the NFRW headquarters became a reality. Constructed in 1829 for a doctor and his family and listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings, the structure was discovered, renovated and redecorated between 1989 and 1990.
It includes a reception area, eight offices, a conference room, a copy room, four bathrooms, a kitchen, a storage basement and a parking driveway.
The building and its contents were purchased for $860,000. In 1993, just 367 days after going to settlement on the national headquarters, the NFRW paid the mortgage in full with contributions from state federations, local clubs and individuals. [MORE ON THIS]
The Federation celebrated with a mortgage burning ceremony at the spring board meeting that year, and a building fund was created to help with continuing maintenance. [MORE ON THIS]
In 2000, the interior of the building was refurbished through generous donations from clubs and individual members. In 2007, the building was re-named the Marion E. Martin Center in honor of our founder [MORE ON MARTIN]. In 2008, the exterior of the building was renovated with new windows, shutters, hardware and paint.